Sunday, November 30, 2008

Watch Out! Mommy's Throwing

It's been quite a week.  Maybe that should be expected with the start of the holiday season.  The craziness started early though.

This past Tuesday Jack accompanied his dad all the way to Seattle to visit Children's Hospital (yet again).  This time for a blood draw and visit with the hematologist.  Yes, it's a long way to go for that.  It was Jack's first day out without mom and no one knew what to expect.  I thought we'd get along fine, and we did.  

We didn't get to make much of an adventure of it.  There wasn't time for Seattle Center or the
zoo this time.  Though we did visit Archie McPhee's for all our rubber chicken needs.  We also searched in vain for a Christmas present for Lucas.  Don't ruin the surprise but we went looking for a new engineer's hat.  We tried the Burlington outlet mall's Oshkosh B'gosh.  No luck.  On the advise of an employee there, we tried the Marysville version.  No luck.  Curse them all!

With our shopping only somewhat successful we grabbed a quick bite and headed for the hospital.  The blood draw was the quickest ever and we were left with an hour to kill 'til our appointment at 2:30.  

Mind you we were at the hematology/oncology suite of a children's hospital.  So as we sat waiting with a couple of six-year old bald kids it's hard to get upset about being delayed.  Yet I managed.  At three o'clock I was ready to head home but was certain Kim would kick the crap out of me if I left.  Jack showed much more patience than his dad.  I stared at the clock contemplating the brewing traffic.  We finally were called back at 3:20.  The long and the short of it is Jack has borderline anemia and will be sucking back some iron for the next six weeks.  We did hit the traffic and an hour and a half drive became a two and a half hour stress fest.  Let's just say Jack wanted to be home.  

When that was out of the way we had Thanksgiving to look forward to.  We hosted Dave and Karen for dinner this year and were casting about for something fun to do during the day. Wednesday we went to a birthday party at Cornwall Park for Jack's friend Miriam.  Her dad,
 Sean, pointed out the horseshoe pits at the park and an idea was born.  That night we picked up some horseshoes and made plans to go back the Thanksgiving morning.

We got a late start (go figure) Thursday morning and couldn't get a hold of Sean.  We went to the park anyway and started chucking some very heavy horseshoes.  It's harder than it looks.
  It's also dangerous.  Especially so if you don't watch your mouth.  At one point Kim was taking her turn while Jack and I got out of the way to take a photo.  She says it got caught on her
 finger but she nearly killed us.  I saw the thing coming and thought about trying to catch it to save Jack.  As time slowed down I looked behind me to see how far away Jack was (enough I judged) and where I thought the horseshoe would land.  I started to put my hand out to catch it, but figured we'd both survive without me breaking thirty-some bones.  So I let it land and yelled at Kim "What are thinking?"  I'll never hear the end of that.

After a bit we did find Sean and his two sons and played a bit more.  Then Lucas got in his first football game.  It was very brief but he did have a chance to score a touchdown.  We had the ball about two yards out and huddled up.  I designed the play without the aid of either a piece of glass or a Coke bottle top.  It's just as well, neither Lucas nor Matthias would have gotten the reference.  Basically it was a hand off to Lucas to sweep right behind our blocking.  Would have worked like a charm but Lucas went the wrong way.  No, not to the left - backwards.  After that he wanted to go back to the playground.  Oh well, the weather was decent and we had a lot of fun.  Thanksgiving dinner was the usual feast with a side of gambling.  A good time was had by all.

We either boycotted Black Friday or celebrated Buy Nothing Day, take your pick.  Either way, we stayed home Friday.  By Saturday we needed to get out of the house so Lucas and I headed up the street to Yeager's to find something for Jack.  Santa Clause was there and Lucas wanted to say hi.  We milled around a bit 'til he was available and Lucas went up to talk to him.  I've said it before and I'll say it again Yeager's is the place to go.  We had no intention of having photos taken without Jack but even so Santa took Lucas up on his lap and talked to him for
 quite a while.

No comments: