A couple of weeks ago we made another trip to Children's Hospital in Seattle. This time for Lucas to be observed, with an eye towards awkward social behavior. He and Kim spent three and a half hours there so Jack and I abandoned them to visit the zoo.Advantage Jack and Troy. Throw in the fact that we went to Dick's for lunch afterward and it's game, set and match.
While Kim and Lucas were testing the effect of negative reinforcement on ESP ability, Jack and I found our way across 45th St to Woodland Park Zoo. What could be better? The rain held off and we had a pleasant fall day. Just the two of us and a few hundred home-schooled Seattlites. It was a special day for the soon-to-be social outcasts. The home-schoolers I mean, I'm already a social outcast. Jack, though, is earmarked for coolness.
We didn't stare at every animal in captivity. But we did spend a good amount of time with the
ones we did see. We were especially attentive of the hippos. And they were of us! One of them was giving Jack the eye. You could plainly see that it wanted to eat him. They are strange creatures. Huge. Big, fat pigs. But scary in the water. Ever see film of a alligator swimming with just its eyes visible? The hippos do the same. It doesn't seem like it should be possible but those things can disappear from sight. And their mouths are huge. As are their teeth. To be honest I don't even know if they eat meat. But one of them could swallow Jack whole.
ones we did see. We were especially attentive of the hippos. And they were of us! One of them was giving Jack the eye. You could plainly see that it wanted to eat him. They are strange creatures. Huge. Big, fat pigs. But scary in the water. Ever see film of a alligator swimming with just its eyes visible? The hippos do the same. It doesn't seem like it should be possible but those things can disappear from sight. And their mouths are huge. As are their teeth. To be honest I don't even know if they eat meat. But one of them could swallow Jack whole.Jack really liked watching the otters. The zoo has an exhibit where the otter's river has a glass viewing spot and they swim back and forth right in front of you. We liked it so much we didn't notice the bear that was right behind us. Also behind glass, of course. I would have thought it would be hibernating, but what do I know? We did see a couple of yawns from it, which provided an uncomfortable view of the teeth.
I wouldn't have thought it likely but we did run into some distant relatives at the gorilla enclosure. Ha, ha, ha. I'm kidding, but one of them did resemble my brother. 

We're still waiting for Lucas' test results. The smart money is on him just taking after his dad. But this Tuesday we're heading back. This time for Jack to visit the hematologist.
In more recent events Jack continues to talk more and more. They claim he seldoms utters a sound at daycare, but at home he now loves to say "What's that noise?"
No comments:
Post a Comment