Since four of us would be spending one night and a morning an hour and a half away from home we packed as much as we could get into the car. Hey it's cold so we need the extra clothes. And, well, food is a good thing. Plus toys help mollify kids. Dads too, but I had to drive so I didn't get to play. The long and the short of it was - we had breakfast with us. We did have to get Kim some coffee before she could face the hospital. Luckily any idiot (even this one) can find a cup of Joe in Seattle. So with just one quick stop, and a photo of a pretty cool sign, we were on our way once again to Children's Hospital. By the way, I think it best to keep a positive sound in your voice when you say that. I hesitate when I tell people we go there, because it sounds like such a dreaded thing.
Anyway I slowed the car to let Kim and Jack get out yelled a hurried rendezvous time at Kim and left rubber as I spun the car around and made for the zoo.
However that is the secondary part of this post. Jack started his morning with another blood draw. That kid is the champ. Needles don't phase him at all. They don't bother me much, but his mom and brother could take a lesson from him. He didn't even flinch when the needle went in and just watched until the vial was full. He got a few stickers and was on his way to the opthomologist. His eyes are just fine and seem to be normal in every way, as we expected, but it can't hurt to get them checked. Then back to the hematologist. When he was tested in November, he had low red blood cell and iron levels. He was on iron supplements for a couple of months, and now his iron levels are fine. His red blood cell count is still low (in other words, he is anemic). But, not so low that we need to worry. So, we don't have to go back to Children's for him. What a relief!
That was Kim giving a first-hand rendition. Just let me add that she said about seven doctors saw him to test his eyes. Even the back of them! I'm not sure how to describe my reaction to that. Take your pick, either my spine became jello or my hands waved like like a hummingbird. I did not like the sound of that and do NOT want to imagine how in the world you can look at the back of someone's eyes. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with opening a hole in the back of the head, but I'm afraid to look for stitches, and I don't want to ask.
But he's doing well. His talking is coming in waves too. He's saying more and more complex sentences all the time. I want to go on a walk through alley to see Dan's Truck, for example. We still spend a lot of time concerning ourselves with the neighbors cars.
Then there was the zoo. First thing in the morning the snow started coming down and I wasn't too thrilled about that. The last time that had happened Seattle was gridlocked. All too easily I could picture us sliding down a hill out of control. Seattle is nothing but hills. Well, hills and things to run into. But it let up after just a dusting and we were fine. I managed to find some free parking a couple of blocks from the zoo so we started out ahead. Lucas and I piled on a couple of layers and headed for the gate. Turns out a lot of the animals weren't in sight, they were probably keeping warm somewhere. But we had the place practically to ourselves (imagine that a snowy Tuesday morning) and we had a great time.
I won't bore you with all the details. But do let me tell you about the flamingos. They're aliens. I once thought their neck reminded me of an arm. But it's nothing like an arm. It's more muppet, or perhaps snake. The crazy thing moves every which way. It's like a tube. If it wasn't so mesmerizing I'd say it was freaky.
You know how really smart kids sometimes get bored in school and then act out in inappropriate ways? I think the flamingos have all challenged each other to see who can stand on one foot the longest. When they get bored with that I think they're going to take over the world. But damn their feathers are pretty.
No comments:
Post a Comment