Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Inauguration Day

Jan 20, 2009 looks like it will become an important date in the history of the United States. Obviously you have better sources to read about that. But I do want to point out a couple of things. I honestly don't believe today would have been such a thing to celebrate without the juxtaposition of just how poor a president George W. Bush was. Barack Obama looks and sounds like a leader the nation can get behind, and obviously his election is a monumental step. But I don't think his election would be nearly as celebrated if it weren't for the track record of the Bush presidency. I have been amazed at people's reactions. They seem to be swelling with pride and jubilant patriotism. I don't think I have seen such an outpouring of emotion since Dorothy killed the Wicked Witch.

As stated earlier, we took the boys to drop off our ballots. So we are trying to teach them about the political process. Politics are quite a bit harder. Both boys heard the inauguration in school today. I was especially surprised that Jack's daycare brought in a TV, considering the ages of the youngest kids there. But it seemed to sink in. This afternoon while on a walk he heard a radio and asked Kim "Why are they talking about Obama?" Kim said she was floored.

I knew the Montessori School didn't have a TV so I didn't expect Lucas to have the chance to observe the it. But the teacher brought in a radio and the kids had a chance to listen. As it turns out Lucas didn't pay as much attention as Jack. But he does understand enough to ask some tough questions. Such as why did we prefer Obama to McCain?

As much as I'd like to explain, it's tough. If you start with the candidates stance on taxes, you first have to explain taxes. None of which I mind doing, but it's hard to get the point across. It would be easier to just say something like we tend to vote for Democrats over Republicans. But that isn't always true, and then we'd be explaining the differences in the parties. Plus I don't want to cloud the issues, I want him to have a chance to form his own opinions.

At least he understands more than some of his classmates. His teacher told me one of the kids was sad because they didn't see the two men running. She thought it was that kind of race.



No comments: