Sunday, October 19, 2008

You are grounded, mister!

No adventures this week so here's a recap of the highs and lows. Wednesday night Jack found a green pepper in crisper and indicated he wanted to eat it. I told him I didn't believe it for a second but sliced it up anyway. I'll be darned but he ate the whole thing. It doesn't say much for a week when that is the highlight, but getting him to eat is so difficult that both Kim and I were thrilled.

Tuesday Lucas bit a little girl at school. This came right on the heels of a weekend where we stressed giving other people some personal space and especially keeping his mouth off other people. On the spot I told him he couldn't play on the computer for a week. When I was his age we never had our computer privileges taken away. Of course you couldn't have fit one in my house at the time, never mind being able to afford one. No, our punishments were a little more hard hitting. And when they weren't we faced far worse than "time outs." I can tell you that two days of being locked in the basement and fighting off rats in the dark will convince you not to do anything that might get you in trouble for a long time. Lucas told me that the girl had hit him first. I didn't believe him at first but eventually came around and cut the punishment by a few days. Still, I don't think he's lacking for diversions. We have enough toys around the house to keep China's economy afloat for some time.

Kim needed to get a book for her book club, some romance trash I'm sure, so when we did the kid exchange at lunch of Friday she asked Lucas which bookstore he wanted to go to. He chose Barnes and Noble where he planned to buy quite a few. It's tough to complain about a kid reading, but he's going to put us in the poor-house. Can't wait 'til he's old enough for a library card.

Saturday was another gorgeous Indian summer day so we piled everyone into the car to head for Lake Padden and the dog park. Jack fell asleep on the way. So while Kim, Lucas and the dogs traipsed through the park I sat in the car with the napping Jack. It was nearly a perfect afternoon. Had we been in the van I could have stretched out for a nap myself. But who's complaining? I even managed to doze a bit while enjoying the warmth of the sun. Honestly, I couldn't have enjoyed myself much more. A rare chance to relax just sitting still in the sunlight. I might stash a book in the car though.

Saturday was a good day for Jack, too. He absolutely obsessives over our neighbors.Specifically whether they are home or not. Well, actually their cars. The mail truck too. I suppose his world consists of what he can see, and a good portion of that is through the front window. He can see two of the neighbors driveways through the window. But he can't see the one next-door. So he often want so go outside to check if Kenny's car is there. We appease him.We were out raking today. The front birch tree has shed about ninety percent of its' leaves. So there are only about a hundred-million to go. While we were out there Jack got to see Kenny in person. A red letter day! Then later Kim had him outside when the mailman (Scott) came by. Scott let Jack get in the back of the truck and sit in the driver's seat. I don't think he could have had much of a better day either.

No comments: