Thursday night, well early Friday morning (shortly after 2:00) Lucas called out from bed “Daddy, daddy.” I sprang from bed! What an honor, he so seldom calls on me. Mom is always first on his mind. Turns out he had a dream he didn’t like. I won’t call it a nightmare, nor a bad dream. It had a Tyrannosaurus Rex in it and he doesn’t like meat-eating dinosaurs. I consoled him and went back to bed. A short time later he called again. I wasn’t annoyed, but proud again. It was the same problem and I encouraged him to try to think of something else. Next thing I knew Kim was in his room with him. I have no idea who he called for that time. But the upshot of it all is we didn’t get enough sleep.
Neither did Lucas. I leave for work usually about the time the boys get up. So I usually get the chance for a hug and to say goodbye. Not on Friday. They both slept-in and Kim had to wake them about 7:40. They usually leave for school about 7:55. Lucas didn’t want to get up but was thirsty and wanted Kim to bring him a drink in bed. She said no and put a cup of water on the counter so he could get up and get it himself. The carrot was not working.
Jack was up and said “Lucas no up. Lucas bed.” Kim asked if Jack wanted Lucas to get up. “Noooo.” Then Lucas got up and was smiling from ear to ear. “What did Jack say? Did he want me to get up?” Spiting Jack’s wishes. Purposeful or not, the two-year old used the old reverse psychology on his older brother.
Neither did Lucas. I leave for work usually about the time the boys get up. So I usually get the chance for a hug and to say goodbye. Not on Friday. They both slept-in and Kim had to wake them about 7:40. They usually leave for school about 7:55. Lucas didn’t want to get up but was thirsty and wanted Kim to bring him a drink in bed. She said no and put a cup of water on the counter so he could get up and get it himself. The carrot was not working.
Jack was up and said “Lucas no up. Lucas bed.” Kim asked if Jack wanted Lucas to get up. “Noooo.” Then Lucas got up and was smiling from ear to ear. “What did Jack say? Did he want me to get up?” Spiting Jack’s wishes. Purposeful or not, the two-year old used the old reverse psychology on his older brother.
I've said it before, but Jack's language is coming along. He's putting together sentences such as "Don't wanna lap, sit right here." Sure it's pidgin but he gets his point across. He still repeats himself constantly and wants us to parrot just about everything he says but occasionally tells stories. Kim captured the neighbor's dog (Aztec) and returned it to their backyard the other day and Jack has retold it several times - Mommy Aztec away.
Jack is also working on his potty-training. Not that much success but if he finds someone in the bathroom he wants to join in. Yea. But to his credit, he's getting better and better at putting his diaper and pants back on. He's quite insistent about doing it by himself, and can manage it with just a little unnoticed assistance.
No comments:
Post a Comment