
His school also allows him to bring treats on his birthday, he also wanted cupcakes for this. A change from their usual no-sugar policy was on its way. Lots of sugar that is. I found a recipe for red velvet cupcakes and went to work. Kim put the kibosh on the food coloring. I don't know why, some anti-chemical blah, blah... Ask her. So they became tan velvet cupcakes. Oddly, mom forgot herself when helping with the icing. Instead of giving my the proper amount of powdered sugar, she gave me the right amount and then added what was left in the package. Which was quite a lot. Then she gave in on the food coloring so we could give Jack his favorite color - pink.
Once again I had the pleasure of going to the school for the display. Jack carried the globe around the candle/sun and his teacher told about the changes kids go through as they grow, and we all sang Popeye The Sailor Man or The Earth Goes Around the Sun. Same tune, one's just more familiar. Then we got to hand out the sweets. The school has swallowed some of its rules and now thumbs its collective nose at the kids with allergies. While we handed out tan velvet goodness to most of the class, two of the kids were given gluten-free "cookies." They learned at least one lesson that day - life isn't fair.

Back at home, the plan was to have the neighbor girls over to whack away at a pinata. I had had the idea last year and remembered this year to take advantage of the Cinco de Mayo display at our local grocer. I was stumped for filler since I wanted neither candy nor cheap toys to clutter the house. A friend pointed me to a dollar store where I found all kinds of crap. But decent filler - glow sticks, beads, water balloons and best of all silly string. The dollar store deserves a story of its own, but I won't bother just now. Allow me to say, however, that I was out of my element.
Unfortunately the neighbors couldn't make it for his birthday but we had Dave and Karen over for dinner. They are two of Jack's favorite people and you can't help but have a good time with them. We postponed the whacking 'til Wednesday to coincide with Mexican independence.
As an aside, I don't understand why we celebrate that holiday. Other than as an excuse to drink, that is. I bought some Corona for a Uno De Mayo tailgate at the Sounders game and the leftovers were toted out for the fifth. Ole!

On the fifth we had the neighbors plus Xander and Thrace over so postponing worked out to the tune of two bonus kids. Lucas was afraid he wouldn't get a chance to hit the pinata and really wanted to go first. We wouldn't allow that since we were still celebrating Jack's birthday. But not to worry, Jack didn't have a prayer of damaging that thing, let alone ripping it open. In fact, I was somewhat worried that none of the kids would be able. How wrong I was. Talia swings a mean stick and Xander was hell-bent to do some damage. You should have seen his face. Or maybe not, it may have frightened some of you. Let me just say that kid put his all into swinging a stick. The poor, tissue-paper covered bull didn't stand a chance. Its orange and pink back soon gave way to the relentless hammering and gave up its treasures. Goodies spilled to the ground and were swooped up by the mob.
All the fun wasn't reserved for the kids however. I mentioned getting silly string - that was for the parents to spray at the kids as they swung. I took great joy from splatting that stuff right in the face of the stick-wielding kids. It was so much fun I GUARANTEE we'll be doing it again next year.
Adios.
No comments:
Post a Comment