An arm and a leg isn't enough to pay tuition at the fancy private school. We have to give blood, too. No, we're not selling plasma to pay the bill but it's close. Actually we do have to put in a certain (large) number of volunteer hours.
One way to put in time is to monitor the play area at recess, so today I took a long lunch and headed for Ferndale. Jack's teachers saw me and immediately asked if I'd be taking him home after recess? We figured he'd be upset if I left and the teachers knew it would be true. So rather than leave him crying for two hours he came with me. Luckily, I can take long lunches and Kim can skip out early. But I was hungry so Jack and I stopped for some food on our way to get Kim. Grocery store chinese was the option of the day. I asked Jack if he wanted anything to eat? Rice? Spring roll? Pot sticker? No, no, no. Fortune cookie? Yes. No problem, they have a basket for the grabbing so I pocketed one on my way out. Unfortunately I forgot to give it to him.
Kim called me a little while later at work asking if I had promised Jack a cookie? Oh yeah, but I had just eaten it. Oops. How do you get out of that Jam? No problem, I can come up with a cookie on short notice. The blood van was on campus so I went over there and donated some life-giving red goodness in exchange for a handful of cookies. A genius move if I do say so.
Tuesday, January 26, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment