Friday, October 16, 2009

You're getting sleepy...

I've always had trouble sleeping. I don't know if it's an over-active mind or borderline insomnia, but for most of my life I have had trouble falling asleep. Fatherhood, by the way, has changed that. I can now fall asleep during the day with little effort. Throw a hammock on deck beneath me and a little sunshine from above and I'm as content as a cat in a window. Prior to children wearing me out I tried a couple of different things to sleep. I stayed away from alcohol, but did use melatonin to some degrees of success.

Jack was a fabulous sleep aide, I imagine this is true of many little ones. On many occasions, when trying to get him to nap, I would sit with him and hold him to my chest. The combination of his warmth and soft breathing would lull me to napping as well. The kid is a regular sleeping pill. This past week he has changed his routine a bit. Usually he falls asleep on Kim's lap as she reads to him and Lucas, but lately he has been asking me to take him to bed. I take him either to our room or the spare room ( which ever bed has fewer of his toys) and we lay down. He asks me to cuddle and often times tells me he's going to put his thumb in his mouth. Which you have to admit is pretty funny. Within a few minutes we're both asleep.

He's also changing his attitude about school. Last Monday Kim reported the best drop-off ever, and since he has not complained about going nor has he cried or clung to her. He's now telling us about the lessons he does, either "yellow" or "cheese and crackers." He also has a song about one of the girls in Lucas' class and makes jokes about one of the teachers not being in his room.

No comments: