Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Neglectful Bloggers

So half a month has gone by without an update.  Sorry.  No excuses, but we've been busy.  Kim went to Alaska.  I'll let her flesh that adventure out, but I will spill the beans.  She didn't find any gold.  I went to Washington, D.C. and will copy a soccer blog over here just to try to fill a quota.

More importantly, news about the boys.  We (I) signed Lucas up for youth soccer.  He was very excited about it.  OK, I was.  But he's playing along.  Get it?  Get it?  Huh?  Sorry.  I'll leave the comedy the bears.  We signed him up with every intention of this being a father-son thing.  Of course scheduling shoots us right in the head.  I have Sounders season tickets with games usually on Saturday, and I moonlight doing stats on Thursdays and Saturdays.  When are Lucas' practices?  Do you even have to ask?  Thursdays.  And games?  C'mon, Saturdays.  Dammit!

Yes I could skip a Sounder game to see my son play, and I would consider it.  But I did miss his first game because I had to work a volleyball tournament.  Don't ask if his team won.  They don't keep score.  Don't ask, I think it's some sort of self-worth crap.  Obviously I didn't want to miss it.  So I asked Kim to video tape it, knowing full well she would have her hands full corralling Jack.  No problem, that's what tripods are for.  She forgot it.  I can't complain though, she's the better parent.  Though, while I'm not complaining I will point out that she remembered to bring George.  George is a puppet Jack likes to talk to.  Priorities.

But soccer is supposed to be fun.  School, on the other hand apparently isn't.  We've eschewed the Bellingham schools in favor of driving to a whole other city to learn-up the chillens. They're in school from nine to three-thirty.  A pretty long day, especially considering their ages.  This is just the second week of classes and the long days take a toll on Lucas.  He's wound up when he gets out and just wiped out in the evenings.  He's better off than Jack, though.  Jack does not like going.  He's only three so you hate to hear him say he doesn't like going to school when you know how many more years lay ahead.  But part of me thinks, he's only three so he shouldn't even be in school yet.  But it would be the same story with daycare.  What you gonna do?  I'd quit my job and stay home with him, but soon we'd have no home.  There's something wrong with our society.  Maybe it's just my paycheck.

But we're hopeful Jack will come around.  He's pretty social, so we think he'll actually like it eventually.  If not we may ask for him to be switched into Lucas' class.  He's familiar with most of the kids there (from picking Lucas up last year) and he seems to love one of the teachers.

No comments: