I've decided to teach the boys some slang.
Why? Couldn't say, I just thought it would be fun. Hopefully funny.
But what to teach them? I know next to nothing in the current lexicon. And absolutely nothing that I want my young sons to say. Nor do I want to explain what it means. That leaves the old school vernacular.
So, what do I remember and what should I teach them? Notice it's not what should WE teach them. Kim wants very little to do with this.
I narrowed it down to "Rock On" complete with the Hook 'em Horns hand motion. Pinkie and pointer finger up with thumb pinning the middle two fingers down. Knowing Lucas' dexterity I figured he wouldn't have a chance with the more traditional motion (with the thumb also extended). Let me tell you now this little project has exceeded all expectations. It is quite amusing to watch Lucas try to work his fingers into place. Mind you this only comes with prompting, he has yet to utter an unsolicited "Rock On." But I'm hoping it will come out at school. I envision the teacher saying something like it's time to go to the park and Lucas piping up with a hardy "Rock On!" Complete with hand motion.
Then there's Jack. He can actually do the fingers better than his older brother. But he's lacking in the pronunciation. It comes out like a mutilated attempt at Ron. Something like "Ra-on."
I haven't approached Jack with the other phrase I'm trying to push. "Strap on the old feed bag." I learned it from PG Wodehouse, a writer in the '20s, and it means to eat. Again, I hope Lucas to use it at school. I don't know if he will, but when I remind him of it he does get a broad smile of recognition, so I have hope.
No comments:
Post a Comment